Monday, April 6, 2015

Reason for Madness

One of my favorite movies of all time House of Wax (1953). Watching it for the first time I felt that there should have been more behind Jared (Vincent Price), what would drive a man into madness? Though the story gives an explanation it's not powerful enough so this is my background story or prologue to HOUSE OF WAX.







Doctor Bentley and his daughter Alexandra own a clinic around the corner from a vacant building which is being looked at by a business man MATHEW and a sculptor JARED.



INT. BUILDING



Walking around Jared is inspired by the space, walking in the back he finds a studio, wandering up stairs to the spacious living quarters he agrees to take it.



Jared:

what do you say Mathew?



Mathew:

we'll take it.



INT. CLINIC



Doctor Bentley is sitting at his desk as Alexandra is sketching him. They are greeted by Bruce a connoisseur who knows everyone.



Bruce:

Dr. Bentley are you in?



Doctor Bentley:

For you Bruce I think I can make an exception.



They shake hands, Bruce kisses Alexandra's hand and looks at her sketch.



Bruce:

that is very impressive.



Doctor Bentley:

I'm glad you think so, for a delicate flower she's good and stout, besides I couldn't banish the thought of her being a physician even if I wanted to.



Alexandra:

I always thought that the need to cure the sick shouldn't be based on gender. Besides who better to learn under than the great doctor Bentley.



Doctor Bentley kisses her head being flattered.







Doctor Bentley:

my daughter flatters me, though I think a good man is all that's needed in her life. Once love finally takes hold she'll forget everything, speaking from experience. Her mother rest her, brilliant artist swooped me off my feet, I felt I was amongst the stars.



Bruce goes through her sketches and is blown away by how beautiful they are.



Bruce:

I have a friend whose a sculptor, he works mainly in wax, he just bought a venue around the corner, seeking inspiration for new figures, would you like to meet him?



Alexandra shakes her head as her father pushes her out the door with her coat and sketch book.





INT. WORKSHOP



Jared sits in his workshop staring off into the distance thinking of where to start. He then hears a knock at the door, getting up he opens the door.



Jared:

Bruce, what can I do for you?



Bruce:

I'm sorry Jared for intruding like this, this is Alexandra daughter to Doctor Bentley.



She looks him in the eyes and instantly is captivated by him, she feels warm and blush.



Jared:

how do you do? Bruce I'm sorry I'm in no mood to entertain at the moment I seem to have found myself in a rut.



Bruce:

Alexandra is more than just a pretty face Jared, she's also a very talented artist.



She hands him her sketch book which is filled with various sketches . Looking through them Jared fills with ideas and he stops at a sketch of Marie Antoinette



Jared:

she's beautiful. You seem to have a fixation on her, you have many sketches.



Alexandra:

A unique beauty she was, as a student of anatomy I try and make sure I do her justice...



Jared:

I can see why. Your attention to detail is inspiring... Alexandra would mind helping me?



Alexandra:

It would be a pleasure.



Jared:

yes I believe with your help we can bring her to life.





Days go by and the two work together on making Marie Antoinette. Alexandra finds herself one day lured by Jared and within a moments notice she starts to sketch him. Jared is focused as he molds the face out of clay. She shades in his eyes and he comes around to see her work.



Jared:

is that what I look like?



Alexandra:

huh? Oh, sorry. Your eyes when you're working I never met a man so much passionate.



She's embarrassed by speaking her feelings, Jared is flattered and finds her alluring.

Jared:

would you mind settling a curiosity for me?



Jared leads her to a figure of clay, standing behind her, taking her hand and running it over the clay.



Jared:

There's an intimacy in your artwork very similar to working with clay and wax. Your eyes say a great deal about you when you're sketching its as if you're driving at something, as if just sketching isn't enough.



As his hand caresses hers leading up to her wrist and arms, the warmth and ecstasy of being close one another has them both wanting to throw decorum out the window. The Romantic tension is then broken by Bruce as he appears behind them.





Bruce:

I'm not interrupting anything am I?



Jared:

not yet, Bruce.



Bruce:

ah, huh. Alexandra your father would like to know if you'll be joining him for dinner?



Looking at the clock its late.



Alexandra:

oh is that the time?



Jared:

Perhaps we should start earlier before your father comes after me with a scalpel.





Alexandra:

good idea. So tomorrow then?



Jared:

tomorrow.



Alexandra leaves forgetting her scarf and Jared watches her with loving eyes.



Bruce:

nice girl.



Jared:

charming creature, you know Bruce I could be falling for her. I've never met anyone who captivates me like she does.



Bruce:

well isn't that a good thing?



Jared:

what life can a sculptor promise the daughter of a physician?



Bruce:

why don't you let her father be the judge of that.





He hands Jared her scarf.





INT. CLINIC



Alexandra comes in kisses her father on the cheek as she sits down and joins him for dinner



Doctor Bentley:

charming man this Jared is?



Alexandra:

no father, he's brilliant, he's unlike any man I've ever met, but his work is his passion, the way he focuses his eyes narrow and sharp...



Doctor Bentley:

and has he shown any interest in you?



Alexandra:

a man like that wouldn't split his love in two.



Doctor Bentley:

well that's a shame. A man delivered a large slab of clay, I put it in you're workshop.



That night Jared can't eat as he looks at the scarf, as Alexandra begins to sculpt Jared's bust.



INT. WORKSHOP



Jared takes Alexandra's hand and kisses it



Jared:

There's something about you, that touches my very fiber of existence, something that drives me to create. You're trembling.



Alexandra:

you seem to have that effect on me, your touch is like an addiction to me whenever you work I feel envious...silly I know...



Jared:

you sell yourself short my dear, without you're beautiful sketches I wouldn't be able to give shape to clay and my days wouldn't be as illuminating as they are when you're here.





The two continue working on Marie and grow closer and closer and it becomes harder and harder to say good bye.



Jared:

I'm strongly disliking these good byes in between visits, I've grown fond of you Alexandra.



Alexandra:

and I you. With absents the heart grows fonder.



Jared:

how true.



He kisses her cheek and she leaves





INT. WORKSHOP



Doctor Bentley stops by with Bruce seeing how the masterpiece is coming, only to find Alexandra and Jared gleaming with affection for each other.



Bruce:

how's she coming?



Alexandra and Jared stand apart from one another as Doctor Bentley and Bruce walk into the workshop to see how the statue is coming.



Bruce:

Jared this is Doctor Bentley, Alexandra's father.



Doctor Bentley:

I'm sorry for intruding, but I thought I should come and meet the man whom my daughter spends the majority of her time with.



Jared:

naturally. Naturally.



Bruce:

Alexandra, can I steel you away for a moment?



Bruce and Alexandra step out of the workshop as Doctor Bentley and Jared are left in the workshop. Doctor Bentley studies the anatomy of the sculpture and is very impressed.



Doctor Bentley:

you're attention to the anatomy is most impressive.



Jared:

Alexandra credits you for that attention to detail, which I'm truly grateful for.



Doctor Bentley:

what is your opinion on my daughter?



Jared:

angelic almost, how she lights up every room that she's in. How her artistry adds depth and grace to her soul...excuse me I allow my emotions to get the better of my words.



Doctor Bentley:

quite all right, tell me something Professor Jared are you a gambling man?



Jared:

no, I have my work to thank for that, I get lost in my creations. As an artist I live a simple life, Doctor. Not one of glamor and riches but simplicity.



Doctor Bentley:

I read somewhere that artists have been known to be lustful drunks. As a father you can imagine my concern.



Jared:

If I may, can I be honest with you Doctor Bentley?



Doctor Bentley:

please do, Professor.



Jared:

I've fallen in love with your daughter, it caught me by surprise...



EXT. WORKSHOP



Standing outside Bruce and Alexandra discuss Jared



Bruce:

You're very fond of him aren't you?



Alexandra:

is it obvious?



Bruce:

I've never seen Jared take to a women as he has you?



Alexandra:

you should see how he is with Marie Antoinette, the passion that man has in his eyes would make any women envious.



Bruce:

yes but what is an artist without his muse...the way he looks at you, appreciates you...





Alexandra:

Muse, are these his words or yours Bruce, I wonder?



Doctor Bentley steps outside with a smile on his face



Doctor Bentley:

yes, yes. My dear you have my blessing. Jared has expressed his feelings most poetic, in short my dear he asked for your hand.



Alexandra:

he, and you...he...



She hugs her father and kisses his cheeks, then runs inside where Bruce and Doctor Bentley watch as she goes into the arms of Jared and they share a passionate kiss.



Doctor Bentley:

and to the stars they go.



Bruce and the Doctor shake hands and walk away with smiles.



INT. WORKSHOP



Lying in bed together after making love Jared and Alexandra admire one another and bask in a glow of passion. Alexandra takes his hand in hers and examines it.



Alexandra:

is it strange that I love your hands?



Jared:

I'd be nothing without them.



Alexandra:

I can know everything about you just by your hands.



Jared:

I didn't know I fell for a gypsy, but that would actually explain a few things.



She takes his hand into hers



Alexandra:

the strength of your hand tells me you use your hands in your profession, they're well kept, no scars tells me you're a well kept man, distinguished, polite...an artist



Jared:

what of my art form of choice?



Alexandra:

the touch of wax and grit of clay on your finger tips and under your nails, you're a brilliant sculptor. Which reminds me, hand me my sketch book.



Reaching under the bed he hands it to her and she flips to a sketch.



Jared:

why that's perfect. The style, the color.



He kisses her passionately and start all over again.



The two put the final touches on Marie Antoinette and during her unveiling, everyone is present and she's beautiful.



INT. CLINIC



Months go by and Alexandra and Jared are engaged and couldn't be happier, she unveils the bust of Jared to her father.



Doctor Bentley:

incredible. Are you going to show him?



Alexandra:

I couldn't bare it, maybe one day when he stops being the greatest sculptor in the world.



INT. WORKSHOP



Mathew comes in and is very upset with Jared who ops for a new partnership in hope that a critic will buy Mathew out. Both agree that its a wonderful idea.



Bruce arrives with Wallace and after showing him the exhibit he finishes with Marie Antoinette. Alexandra walks in



Alexandra:

Jared, oh I'm sorry I can come back when you're finish.



Jared:

nonsense my love. Mr. Wallace this is my fiance and muse behind Antoinette, Alexandra.



Wallace:

a pleasure my dear.



Alexandra:

beautiful isn't she?



Wallace:

The Professor claims you're responsible for this masterpiece.



Jared:

and many more to come. I'd be lost without her.



Jared kisses her hands and the three head over to the door and Jared makes the pitch for Mathew to be bought out. Wallace likes the idea and offers to come back in 3 months, shakes hands and takes his leave.



Alexandra:

Mr. Wallace would you happen to know a David Bentley?





Wallace:

Doctor Bentley? (laughs) we went to school to together, that's where I recognized you from, but how did you...of course he's your father isn't he? Lead the way dear girl, lead the way.



Alexandra kisses Jared



Alexandra:

I'll be back after I get him settled with father.



Jared:

I'll see you then my love.



He kisses her cheek and the three leave. Mathew then pushes Jared into the idea of setting the building on fire for the insurance money, Jared of course refuses violently as Mathew sets the place on fire.



Mathew manages to knock Jared out Alexandra walks in shocked she attacks Mathew they tussle, he throws her up against a wall knocking her out, throwing her in the workshop which is a blaze.



Slowly waking up Jared finds Alexandra screaming for her life as she burns a live. Jared tries to save her and in doing so he severely burns is hands and body.



The figures melt and he walks through the fire and holds the body of Alexandra and despite his injuries manages to carry her out and over to her father.



INT. CLINIC



The doctor attends to Jared's wounds and he buries his daughter. Weeks go by and Jared comes around.



Doctor Bentley:

easy, easy by the grace of some higher power you were not burned to death, perhaps it was the love of my daughter. Your wounds need time. Rest. Rest.



Soon his wounds are heeled and his face wrapped in gauze, but he is walking around, he stares at Alexandra's painting and he begins to cry. Looking over he finds the bust that Alexandra made of him. Studying every inch of it.



Doctor Bentley:

she made it, she said that when you were no longer the worlds most brilliant sculptor she would show it to you.



Jared:

She was truly brilliant and forever beautiful. I need your help with something.



Jared manages to form a wax face cover which he sculpted from the bust Alexandra made, he manages to shape it perfectly.



Doctor Bentley:

now that my daughter was able to give you your face back what will you do?



Jared:

find the monster that is responsible for our suffering...I don't ask you to condone my actions.



Doctor Bentley:

Jared, I gave you my blessing once and now it seems fitting to give it again, however to avoid whatever the outcome I will be leaving the country....I only ask one thing of you Jared.



Jared:

anything doctor.



Doctor Bentley:

find a way to sculpt again, its what she adored about you, allow her love to live on.



Jared:

consider it done and safe travels Doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment